Sunday, October 11, 2009

goodbye clutter, hello organizational system

two weeks ago i took down the beloved loft in my room. so many wonderful memories i will cherish from the 10 or so years i spent with it. memories of...night-time girl talk with my favorite sister...of repeatedly bumping my head...of fort building...of falling off before the railings were installed...of jumping off onto a pile of blankets and pillows (peter-pan, i think i can fly style)...of trials with sheet-changing...of multiple times of forgetting to turn off the light or set the alarm, causing the down-the-ladder, back-up-the-ladder again frustration...of many good times...and of terrible sleep.

"and of terrible sleep" being one of the reasons i took the plunge and coerced my father into helping me take the loft he built down. i'm 24. it's time for a "real" bed.

organizational space is the other main reason for taking down the beloved loft. I need space. i need a well organized space. i need a well organized space that inspires me to create and simplify at the same time. (lots of i need statements, i know...can't i be a little bit selfish about the room i call my own???) over the years i've come up with some ideas for organizing, but none of them have quite done the trick. non-practical maybe. but, i think i'm onto something now. the loft was just the first step in my "master plan."

step two...i thought it was to pick out a paint color, but when i approached jill, a friend and interior designer, she informed me that the paint color is the last thing to choose when re-doing a room. she explained, stating that if you pick out bed linens, fabrics and accents to the room, you want to be able to match the paint color to them, not try and match your paint color to your accessories, which has proven in the past to be most impossible. good call jill. after this week, she is going to come over and check out my space so we can brainstorm together. i love it!

so excited about my new, organized space to be.
a favorite website to check out: www.thecontainerstore.com
their inspirational spaces are amazing. a little pricey, but i'm just gathering ideas, and will eventually con my father into helping me build some custom shelving. oh so amazing.

(one of my favorite spaces from their website)

i hope this inspires you to go and organize/simplify your own space.
michelle

7 comments:

  1. i've been simplifying my space in the last week. last week put together a bookcase for the corner, this week put up shorter curtains so i can open the windows, water my pansies in the window box, and view the lake and the alps more easily.... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite time in the loft was one night when we just couldn't stop giggling and decided we should leave the room and watch movies in the middle of the night. Your cat sleeping on my butt is also a silly favorite. Oh what fun memories:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara keeps us organized. I have often dreamed of organizing a room with shelves floor to ceiling on at least two walls. Sara thinks I'm crazy; she's probably right, but I prefer piles vs. files.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hooray for piles! i pile too - even on bookcases.

    -andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Andrea: i want to see it in person.
    @Tera: oh what good times!
    @Kent: nothing wrong with that!!! I love books. i love organized books :)
    http://www.neublack.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/bookshelf_staircase.jpg
    http://www.colourlovers.com/uploads/images/165.pic.jpg
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6SBviae1JUo/SazS440ZN5I/AAAAAAAAD04/v_IpUKD8DY0/s400/03.01.08.HomeDesign20.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like links 1 & 3, but I'm not in to color-coding my book shelves (link 2). I'd rather organize by content.

    By the way, the shelves I'm talking about weren't book shelves; they were for everything else I try to keep organized (though obviously I would have book shelves elsewhere).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha. I just assumed you were talking about books because that would completely fit you. Also, i was talking with someone else at the begining of the week about an office/library space...books on the brain!

    ReplyDelete